The Green Thumb Top is done. The shirt looks nice but I am not very good at the selfie thing! Here I am with my mouth open.. no comments on that, please! But it fits well tho it’s probably a good thing my cleavage is a bit lower than it used to be! As you can see it kind of wandered away from the original sketch, but that’s the way projects usually go. I’m happy with it.
Here it is in pictures.
This one on the right above requires a bit of explanation. I thought I’d try cutting first and stitching later. Bad idea Even trying to be oh so careful it ended up ruffled. I did mange to fix it but did the other side correctly and you can see the difference. Now you’ve had that lesson with no pain of your own! lol
I started Crocheting around the sleeve and after a couple inches decided that that was not good so ripped and found some bias tape which I stitched on instead to make nice neat hems.
Then I found this lace collar among my ‘stuff’. I soaked it into the left-over morning coffee. What do you think? keep or lose? By the way, the color difference is just lighting.
It’s the 8th of May and the roses are in full bloom. Definitely an early spring. A little cool this week and windy but still getting a lot of gardening done. My Alaskan corn is up and growing. this is going to be an interesting experiment. It is a small corn designed to grow in adverse conditions. I think the weather this year qualifies for that! But I thought that if it is successful in Alaska it ought to produce a couple ears down here. X your fingers!
Meantime,. I have not made any progress on the demo vest. I am thinking I may just give up and do the cut and sew. At least I’d have a vest I could wear. I don’t suppose everything has to be a big challenge, some thing can just be easy, huh? And I got out my bag of squares which I think are wool or silk or…? I’
ve forgotten, only that they are not likely to be machine washable. I am putting a couple things though the gentle cycle this morning and am adding one each of these blocks just to determine what will happen. If they dont’ entirely ruin, I will go from there. I am thinking another vest. This one ought to be lighter weight, tho, more fit for cool summer mornings and evenings.
Meantime back to spring… the rhubarb is also ready! I’m not a fan of strawberries with it but I made it half and half with a couple sweet apples and it is just yummy! Tamed the Rhubarb a bit and gave the apples a little jazz. We’ve made big holes in two pies so far and I have the makin’s for a 3rd! I think I’ll wait until next week with that one as sis is planning a trip down.
Almost. A few details and fulling/blocking to go. The details are, as you can see in the photos of me standing on the deck smirking in the rain, the sleeves. They were too short to please me so I added another row of blocks which, of course, makes them too long. Now I have to decide if it’s going to be fold under cuffs or cut and knit ribbing. I’m leaning toward the folded cuffs as being the easiest but the ribbed cuffs would give a nice fit at the wrist. I sewed on the wooden checked buttons but will take them off to full it, just in case. All that has to wait for the weather to clear as it will have to dry out on the deck and at the moment it is raining and snowing alternatively. But here it is in it’s raw state. also a close up for the button band. It’s seed stitch along the front and k1p1 ribbing at the back of the neck. I had to do it by halves as my circ was a bit short.
And a couple earlier views. You can see the shortish sleeves but also that this one hangs correctly. I think the yoke has a lot to do with that. It fits much better at the shoulders than my last one.
Okay, got it done this fine rainy day by ignoring all calls to the shop by Himself.
Here it is. I think it worked just fine even tho some of it, those last shoulders mostly, were a pita to work.
It’s finished but still on the “loom”.
Off the loom you can see that there is still a little draw-up to deal with. Not much but I hope I did.
Next step, of course is to start assembling it into a garment. Keep your fingers x-ed for me.
I have tried before but it always seems to end up– well– normal. what happens to my free spirited creativity here??! I am trying to take a lead from Frida. I am starting with a rectangle of knitted fabric. This was a huge bit of knitted something a friend gave me. she had tried to make some kind of garment with it but gave up. I frogged most of it. Got 11 1/2 balls of yarn from that part, and am using the rest in this experiment. so far. I have sleeves, a shrug-like thing.
With chained underarms. Now i am exploring free from web sites. And I am getting out my little diamond to make some star or flower shapes to add in. Not very creative yet but we’ll see.
Meanwhile, I have garden stuff to tend to yet.
Rain early next week and it feels like frost is not far off. Only 65 at noon, today.
And the Giants are playing the Cardinals tonight! Go Giants!