Archives

It’s happening!

I am assembling! If I were not already set on another path, I think this would make a very attractive baby blanket or light weight lap robe, maybe. But made great progress today, I believe. The bed is the only place I have that’s big enough to lay it all out. I got the rest of the strips to length, sorting though the skeins to find the needed colors. They don’t all transition smoothly but I’m satisfied.

Here’s the first bunch of strips sewn together.  I really like the way it looks. This is the top, the public side.

And this is the bottom, the underneath. Either side would work but I like the textured side. And besides. I think the smooth side will be better next to me.

More coming! Edited to say: More needed! After sewing the entire thing together I find the seams have taken up a bit more than I figured on so I need to add about 5″. I think two more rows should do it. At least that’s where I am going to start. Pictures are pretty much the same but maybe show detail a bit more. It really is a pretty rainbow, in non-rainbow colors! did I mention that the colorway is called Calming Desert? I guess it’s supposed to be spring in the desert, which is probably timely, tho I haven’t seen spring in the desert in a couple years.

Long projects

It truly looks like I am never going to be rich and famous as a blogger. I think those people have to be a little consistent about posting and I obviously am not. Ah well… I hope my 3 fans do enjoy it when I remember! lol I suppose it still counts if two of those are relatives?

But on to the topic of the day. The long in the making Shawl In A Ball project. Quite frankly I, like a lot of others, find assembling all these little squares at bit tedious on big projects so I remembered a male weaver who went to his sewing machine. I rather liked both the idea and the results so!

Remember all those little bags of squares? Got them all into strips in one morning. I think I have just about enough for the bodice of my top. Now I’ve gotten out my 12 inch square and am going to experiment with it for the sleeves. Once I think I have it all figured out  it will be back to the machine. I guess I should show you how I’m doing it. I think you can see here. Back to back wrong sides together . This is going to make the total area smaller since it is using about 1/4″ on each side a s seam allowance but it goes ever so much faster and I like the texture it gives to this project. This is really not burlap which, I admit, it does resemble in this close-up. but I think you can see what I am doing.

Oh yeah, I had a helper, an inspector, on the job. He came down periodically to make sure I was staying on the job. This is Robin, he lives in the studio, mostly in his “tree” where he can watch to doings inside and out.

Well, I’m off to weave some 12″ squares. I’ll try to be a better blogger and post some progress a bit more often.

Happy Weaving!

 

Another SweetHeart project!

Kiwiquilter posted some of her mug rugs on Ravelry the other day and showed one on a saucer, waiting for the teacup and A Light Came On! I use paper napkins under my soup bowls but why not woven mats?! I had a pile of swatch squares so I stitched 4 together  to try for size. Not a bad fit but not what I wanted. The 6″ square might be closer but then I saw some posts on the Facebook Pin Loom group using the Sweetheart and another Light Came On! My soup ‘mugs’ have an apple design and the heart looks a little appley… with a little help. So here’s what I can up with and I am quite pleased with it and intend to make more.

First the square one. Keep in mind that it uses misc. swatches just for size and is not a design. This size would work, I could even fold in the tips of the corners if I wanted it more sort of round.

4-inch

But I like this one better. The leaves are knitted and  I crocheted a little stem. I know this is a short post, but I have more SweetHearts to weave!

dscn20511

dscn20521

close

It was suggested that I put the worm in his mat so here’s His & Hers!

his-n-hers worm

Okay, here it is for better or worse.

Here it is in pictures.

pattern a cb d e f

This one on the right above requires a bit of explanation. I thought I’d try cutting first and stitching later. Bad idea Even trying to be oh so careful it ended up ruffled. I did mange to fix it but did the other side correctly and you can see the difference. Now you’ve had that lesson with no pain of your own! lol

g

I started Crocheting around the sleeve and  after a couple inches decided that that was not good so ripped and found some bias tape which I stitched on instead to make nice neat hems.

Then I found this lace collar among my ‘stuff’. I soaked it into the left-over morning coffee. What do you think? keep or lose? By the way, the color difference is just lighting.

h   i

Sometimes it just doesn’t work.

Got the Tumbling Block version of the Diamond top woven and assembled at last, after much ripping and re doing—don’t ask!— and find that it just doesn’t work. The shoulders are too sloped and the whole neckline is just too wide. I dug out a sewing pattern and as soon as I get over my disappointment and frustration it looks like this one is going to be a cut and sew project. I am not going to waste this good yarn. So check back now and then. Meantime, the only way I have come up with to enlarge the diamond top is by using the 3.5″ squares to make a side gusset.

both

Hope you are having better luck with your projects! Here is one I got from a new weaver in Idaho who was making it work! Jane’s first project!

Jane from Moscow, ID

Happy Weaving!