Archive | April 2017

A couple of things of possible interest…

Anyone within Reach of Hamilton Montana & the Big sky Fiber Festival who is interested in pin loom weaving might want to take a look at my class there in June. Here’s a link.     We’ll be talking about making clothing with your loom!

Today I made some for a little doll. I wanted to weave Ida Bean for Addy. I think she came out rather cute! I mostly used the 2″ Multi loom and worsted weight wool yarn from stash. Here skirt used the 2″x 6″ but 3 two inch could do the same.  Ball game comes on in a few minutes so will get back to weaving 6″ for the next Project!

Hope some of you can join me in Montana!

 

In the meantime…

I am still weaving the blue yarn for the nest project but meantime was rummaging though my kitchen trash bag full of this and that, experiments, trials aborted projects, you know, you all have them, and found these squares woven in a muddy brown. So I put them to work as a coast for the girls. I’m calling this one Puddle Jumper because of the color! There was a 12″ square of the same yarn which I managed to turn into a sort of baggy tam.  I frogged a couple of extra squares so I could weave  the band. I am quite please with the way this spur of the moment project turned out! It’s spring I think but still quite chilly here! And I think it looks good with Felicity’s red hair.

A customer, Melissa R, gave me permission to post her project here also. She is doing some really cute tapestries and is very good at it. Love the blanket waving in the sunny breeze on the clothesline! What a sweet homey touch! She’s done an excellent job of finishing and hanging her work, too!

 

Done at last!

The sleeves are longer and looser than I had in mind but all in all I am pretty pleased with this one! Already planning the next one! Raining and gloomy today but managed an indoor picture that isn’t too bad, except for the old bag I had modeling it! Wish I had known about this when I was young enough to wear some of the things I would have liked to make! Well, I can make them for Madelyn I guess! For those of you doing this, I think this yarn would look good sewn like this and sleeveless if you can wear it without. The colors and the texture of the assembly method give it all the decoration it needs. I ended up sewing a facing of commercial fabric for the neckline, keeping it simple.

Okay, on the job again!

My order From JoAnn’s with the fabric stabilizer arrived. I never saw anything that said how wide it was so only ordered 2 yards thinking it was probably was wide as the iron on interfacing of many ears ago, but it wasn’t so I just applied it to the top yoke part where I needed to cut. I think that’ll be fine and it really really helped with the cut and sew part! I wasn’t really sure what I was doing to it my all peel off eventually but it seems fine now.

 

I ran a top stitch around the neckline when i had it sewn together just to make sure noting starts raveling.  and then I basted the thing together and tried it on. It may be a little wide across the chest, it’s hard to really fit something to yourself, but it’s not tight, even in the sleeve. I won’t post everything here but if you have any questions let me know and I’ll see if I can answer them.  I zigzaged all the seams. One thing I discovered about my sewing, maybe it’s from making doll clothes, but I tend to run my seams too narrow, had to redo a couple.

So now I have to figure out how to finished the neckline. I usually knit or crochet an edging but  with the stabilizer that will be difficult. It could be worked  separately and sewn on and I am considering that. Or I might come up with a facing for it. But huge steps have been taken today!

 

But my helper has gone over the Rainbow bridge this week. I’m going to miss him.

 

 

While waiting..

My order from Joann’s with the white thread I ran out of.. yes hard to believe, like running out of sugar, pretty basic supplies. I also ordered some knit fabric stabilizer recommended to me by an expert sewer I am acquainted with. I want to try it on this project to see if I can get by without pre-stitching my cut lines.  According to an email from them this should be arriving today. Not holding my breath on it.

But meantime I have been doing a little ‘hobby’ weaving. for the dolls, of course. Molly needed a new dress for her birthday and for Easter so I made this one for her. Her bonnet is knitted.

And we’re having a Join Along on Ravelry for South Western style so I made Mary Ellen into a little cowgirl. Yeah, her steed has antlers but, what the heck, she’s not herding cows, anyway!