Well, I am getting this thing together but I have to admit it is not turning out quite like I pictured in my mind. I pinned it on Madelyn this morning just to check what was happening as it is difficult to tell what I have when it is wadded up in my lap. Even keeping in mind that it has not been blocked I’m not sure the assembly is working smoothly. I may have to redo some of these seams. But the biggy to my mind is the total shape. I had pictured a petal skirt, like one a friend was wearing the other day. I know that on Maddy, it just hangs and does not have the kind of swirly effect it has when you are moving, but I’m not sure it is working. Also it seems to me to be either too long or not long enough. I did a composite sketch showing it shortened. With the diamonds in the same arrangement, the short skirt forms gentle pleats. I would love some feedback, especially from those of you who actually wear skirts.
I have three going just now, but the lace has been put at the bottom of the list and will be there probably though September. Can’t decode on a pattern that will work for what I have in mind.
The Shawl In A Ball yarn on the 4” is still a WIP but only getting occasional attention this week.
But I have moved my planned project up to top of the list and it is getting woven a lot faster than I thought it would be. I’d like to get it done before OFFF if I can. And just as a little added interest, to myself if no one else, I am timing it. The Tiny diamonds are taking me 7 minutes each, the 7” take 20 minutes and I wove the 14” in 55 minutes. So I have this far: 35×7+ 4hr 9min. 10×20=3hr. 33min. Plus 1×55+55min. So I have 9 hours and 62 minutes of weaving time in this so far, if my math is correct. As this weaving is done while listening to the Giants baseball games and there is one of those most days/evenings, I might get this woven in about 7-8 more hours or 2 1/2 games.
Here it is in pictures.
This one on the right above requires a bit of explanation. I thought I’d try cutting first and stitching later. Bad idea Even trying to be oh so careful it ended up ruffled. I did mange to fix it but did the other side correctly and you can see the difference. Now you’ve had that lesson with no pain of your own! lol
I started Crocheting around the sleeve and after a couple inches decided that that was not good so ripped and found some bias tape which I stitched on instead to make nice neat hems.
Then I found this lace collar among my ‘stuff’. I soaked it into the left-over morning coffee. What do you think? keep or lose? By the way, the color difference is just lighting.
Got the Tumbling Block version of the Diamond top woven and assembled at last, after much ripping and re doing—don’t ask!— and find that it just doesn’t work. The shoulders are too sloped and the whole neckline is just too wide. I dug out a sewing pattern and as soon as I get over my disappointment and frustration it looks like this one is going to be a cut and sew project. I am not going to waste this good yarn. So check back now and then. Meantime, the only way I have come up with to enlarge the diamond top is by using the 3.5″ squares to make a side gusset.
Hope you are having better luck with your projects! Here is one I got from a new weaver in Idaho who was making it work! Jane’s first project!